Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Model 15's

  1. #1
    Senior Hostboard Member oface1's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 5th, 2008
    Posts
    563
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Did a road trip to ATL today and bought some speakers today.

    Owner said his brother bought them from a studio in VA.

    I did not get a chance to see if they are original yet , but they sounded fine with the amp he used.

    I am about to go open them up and see what I have . I know from searching that the woofers were some oem'd woofer that altec sourced, saw RCA. Not sure if this is true or it is validated or not.

    They were re-foamed at one point and they have the usual were and tear of a speaker if this age. No grills or frames for the grills and I have seen that is impossible to find them.

    Will have to make some and use some cloth.


    Only spent $250 on these, I will post the link to the pics. I will post some more of the innards and drivers etc...

    Well, I will report back with more.

    Later,,,,


    -chris

    Model-15's

  2. #2
    Senior Hostboard Member GM's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 26th, 2002
    Location
    Chamblee, Ga.
    Posts
    4,967
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    48 Post(s)

    Post

    Yeah, being local and at the price I debated checking them out for using them as big computer speakers and eventually sprucing them up for resale at hopefully a profit, but got over it.

    Anyway, hope they pan out for you.

    GM

  3. #3
    Senior Hostboard Member oface1's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 5th, 2008
    Posts
    563
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    we're you the local one he told about that was going to get them if I did not?


    These would be hella sized computer speakers.

    Gotta get some yard work knocked out, posts some sales on the 'list and maybe the 'bay, and I will post some pics later tonight of the insides. Still haven't gotten to them yet.


    later,


    -chris

  4. #4
    Senior Hostboard Member GM's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 26th, 2002
    Location
    Chamblee, Ga.
    Posts
    4,967
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    48 Post(s)

    Post

    I was thinking of using the components in a tower design, so they would only have been just deep/wide enough to fit the components in, but no, I didn't call him for fear I might weaken and the time/$$ really do need to be spent on house maintenance.

    GM

  5. #5
    Senior Hostboard Member oface1's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 5th, 2008
    Posts
    563
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Good thing for the search function,

    Hooked up the speakers earlier today and a low-mid levels while cleaning my garage, and heard a little noise, so I decided to look into it.

    The hf driver had a loose phase plug. I was thinking what do I attach this with properly. Good thing some super glue, loctite, or epoxy will do the trick. Plus I need to clean the gaps with masking tape.

    Also noticed that one of the VC wires were fixed with a very small dab of solder.

    I have a 291 that has a broken VC wire, might need to take it into work under the magnifier and do a repair and have 2 working sets.

    Will get picks up soon.


    -chris

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.